KIDS Etc. Preschool Procedures and Policy Packet Outline
Below is a brief outline of KIDS Etc. Preschool policy packet. For the complete, more detailed policy packet, please come by for a tour anytime Monday - Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. If you have any questions, please call (801) 523-8500 and we will be happy to help you.
- The front door is locked for security reasons. Children are to be signed in and signed out. We I.D. anyone picking up your child.
- Our entire staff is certified in CPR, First Aid, food handlers permit, and early childhood education. We have two teachers in each center at all times, even if we are well below ratio.
- For safety reasons, we do not allow weapons, toy weapons, small items kids can choke on, special toys from home that can get lost or broken, pets or any illegal substances.
- Please bring a backpack every day and send children in clothes that they can independently handle in the bathroom. Send kids in safe shoes, NO FLIP FLOPS, and wear shorts or tights under dresses or skirts.
- We require that all children have the age appropriate immunizations. Our school does not have a sick room, so we do not do care for children who are ill. Therefore, if your students develops a fever, vomiting or frank diarrhea, it will be necessary for them to be picked up.
- We provide breakfast and a morning and afternoon snack. Because of very particular appetites of children, we no longer provide hot lunch. We ask that you pack a lunch of the foods that your child likes to eat and we will keep it in our refrigerator and provide as much milk as they want.
- When behavior is inappropriate, we use a positive discipline that includes making choices and, if needed, we implement a natural consequence.
- We operate as a nondiscriminatory school, however, we reserve the right to dismiss a student for reasons other than race, religion or ancestry. This includes, but is not limited to, safety risks to themselves or the other children, unpaid tuition, inappropriate behavior from parents, etc.
- Tuition is based on an equal payment policy and payment arrangements can be made. In order to guarantee employment of our excellent staff, full tuition is required to retain your spot even during vacations.
- KIDS Etc. Preschool is a teaching center. Our curriculum is included in your tuition and is designed to develop life skills, social development and self-esteem through classes in phonics, math, science, social studies, creative art, music, P. E. and free play. Afternoon classes include activities in sports, drama, manipulatives and instructional art. We also provide transportation for school-age kids to
the following schools:
Willow Canyon Elementary - 9650 S. 1700 E.
Peruvian Elementary - 1545 E. 8425 S.
Silver Mesa Elementary - 8920 S. 1700 E.
Curriculum - included in your tuition
Our school has a three year curriculum designed to meet the needs of children 1 year, 2 years and 3 years from kindergarten. This program allows the children to progress at their own rate utilizing phonics, writing skills, recognition and identification, and comprehension activities on developmentally appropriate levels.
This is also a three year curriculum that gives each child a good foundation in numbers, counting, sorting, classifying and ordinals. This program provides thought process and problem solving skills necessary for future math experiences.
Children are taught listening skills while they are introduced to some of the best children's literature available. Open discussions develops comprehension skills, critical thinking and opens their minds to creativity and imagination.
Individual creative expression is encouraged through a number of activities from painting to sculpturing. The only limit is our imagination!
Social Studies, Science and Health:
With the objective of understanding people wherever they may live, our studies branch out into the community, state, country and world, including geography, customs and history. Science will emphasize the exploration of the natural environment through clear and logical thinking and health will teach the essentials of safety, healthy living, and the human body.
Music, P.E., and Dramatic Play:
The music program will help to develop the child's personal creativity through activities that include singing, dancing, rhythm and musical instruments. The P.E. program combines fun with muscular development and coordination, expanding to include athletics, aerobics and various games where attitudes and sportsmanship are developed. Dramatic play includes skits, plays, operettas, pantomimes and roll playing which allow self expression in a variety of ways.
Show and Tell:
We will have show-and-tell daily all week long. It would help if you would send items that go along with our weekly theme which are listed on the monthly school calendar. Please refer to this calendar frequently so that you are aware of all the fun activities scheduled.
Social Interaction and Self-Image:
Social skills are learned and developed through supervised playtime with emphasis on building a strong self-image. Children with healthy self-concepts tend to be self-reliant, curious, self-controlled, contented, positive about their chances of success, able to grow from failure experiences, and achieve well in school. Our goal is to help with the development of life skills and the growth of personal self-esteem through positive reinforcement, group participation and individual attention.
Educational programs and theme based videos are used at specific learning times. Otherwise, the TV is on during all gathering times, (ie) 7:00-7:30 a.m., 1:30-2:00, and 5:30-6:00 p.m. Only Public Television stations with educating programs are allowed and only G-rated videos that have already been previewed by our school management team are shown. During television time, other choices are made available to the students such as books, coloring, puzzles, head phones, etc.
Our Enrichment program or after school program is designed to be instructional. They will include the following:
- Sports time Skills in basketball, tennis, soccer, T-ball, volleyball, track and field, four-square, etc. are taught. (We do not participate in competition events.)
- Art time Children are taught how to draw, how to paint, how to sculpt, and some open ended art to develop creativity.
- Drama time Pantomime and puppets, plays and skits, roll playing from literature, movies, and group games are taught in this fun class. The drama club presents plays and puppet shows.
- Manipulative time Sorting manipulatives by color, size, shape, characters, etc. They do puzzles and learn how to build, shape, sort, create and problem solve. They also work to solve patterns.
- Time Classes
- 6:30 - 8:30 Independent Activities
- 9:00 - 9:45
Phonics and Math - (9 month academic program)
Monday - Introduction
Tuesday - Writing
Wednesday - Application
Thursday - Diagnostic
Friday - Craft
- 9:45 - 10:00 Snack and Storytime
- 10:00 - 10:30 Creative Art
- 10:30 - 11:00 Music and P.E.
- 11:00 - 11:30 Science and Social Studies
- 11:30 - 12:00 Show and Tell - Personal Play Time
- 12:00 - 1:00 Lunch Club
- 12:30 - 2:30 Quiet Time/Nap Time
- 2:30 - 3:00 Personal Playtime / Snack and Storytime
- 3:00 - 3:30 Free Play outside (weather permitting)
- 3:30 - 5:00 Creative Art, Manipulatives, Music, Drama, Recess, Games
- 5:00 - 5:30 Free Play Inside
- 5:30 - 6:00 TV Time
- 6:00 - 6:30 Independent Activities
We do not stay in one center (room) all day long. They rotate to different age appropriate rooms throughout the day. This way, they get to know and trust all the teachers and aren't stuck in one room all day long.